Friday, March 15, 2013

Lenten Laments individual 1

Psalm 3 "morning prayer of the virtuous man under persecution" (Jerusalem Bible)
Psalm of David--When he was escaping from his son Absalom.  (2 Samuel 15:13ff)

1. (yod he vov he)*, more and more are turning against me,
more and more rebelling against me,
2. more and more saying about me,
'There is no help for him in his God."  (pause)

3. But (yod he vov he)*, my encircling shield,
my glory, you help me, hold up my head.
4. Loudly I cry to (yod he vov he)*,
and dhe answers me from his holy mountain.  (pause)

5. Now I can lie down and go to sleep
and then awakke, for (yod he vov he)* has hold of me;
6. no fear now of those tens of thousands
posted agains me wherever I turn.  (pause)

7. Rise, (yod he vov he)*!
Save me, my God!
You hack all my enemies to the cheekbone,
you break the teeth of the wicked.
8. From (yod he vov he), rescue,
On your people, blessing!

* yod he vov he = the unspeakable and holy Name of God ("Yahweh" or "Jehovah")

No comments:

Post a Comment